You didn't pose an exact question in your message, but I guess it's "Can
Django officially support XHTML5?"

As it's a stricter subset of HTML5, it seems a valid idea. But at the same
time, we need to be able to support it going forwards, with test coverage
and knowledge that this is what we aim for on every PR that adds HTML. Also
I doubt you'll find many third party packages support XHTML5 too.

You say there's more to be fixed that just reversing #29038
<https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/29038>. What else is there? Would
you be willing to do all the work?

On Sat, 11 Aug 2018 at 20:27, Nils Fredrik Gjerull <n...@gjerull.net> wrote:

> I write this because the latest release version of Django (2.1) broke my
> site.
>
> On my site I serve my html documents with the unusual, but perfectly
> valid, mimetype application/xhtml+xml. That is I tell the browser to
> parse my html documents as XML. I do this because I prefer the stricter
> parsing and error messages for invalid documents.
>
> It is perfectly valid to serve HTML5 as application/xhtml+xml, this is
> called XHTML5. Some might thinks that HTML5 have replaced XHTML so we
> should not care any more. But HTML5 has not replaced XHTML (as an XML
> version of HTML), it has replaced the XHTML-Transitional and Strict
> standards. You can think of XHTML5 as HTML5 serialized as XML.
>
> As Django is a framework I think it should output HTML that can be
> served as both text/html and application/xhtml+xml, and leave the
> decision of what to use to the developer.
>
> As valid XHTML5 is also valid HTML5, but not vice versa, all HTML
> generated by the framework need to be written as XHTML5.
>
> I reopened ticket #29038, but there is more that need to be fixed. I am
> happy to provide a pull-request for this.
>
> See:
> - https://www.w3.org/TR/html/introduction.html#html-vs-xhtml
> - https://www.w3.org/TR/html/the-xhtml-syntax.html
>
> Regards