Hi Nils.

> ... and an issue (#29681), which was
prematurely closed as wontfix.

As per the when you already re-opened #29038 on this issue, there now needs
to be a consensus here before
we can (or will) consider a new ticket for this. That's not "premature" —
it's just how the project management of
Django works. The mailing list allows a wider discussion on issues that
have previously been resolved.
I ask you to respect that.

The PR: https://github.com/django/django/pull/10308

Only half-joking, the diff here makes me want to weep. For me, 150 files
and 1803 line changes is just too much to
enforce something that is of minority appeal.

On XHTML5 generally, I have no problem with properly closing tags, and I
guess `/>` if you must but I look at `checked="checked"` and my personal
response is that I just don't want that.

I understand the benefits of XML but I think trying to enforce it in a web
framework in 2018 and beyond is skating to where the puck was, so to speak.
Developers expect HTML5 and it we don't go with that as a default every PR
that comes in will need "correcting" for the XML syntax, and we'll end up
with a 10:1 increase in new issues asking why we're not taking advantage
the new, more concise, syntax.

You want to serve the pages you generate with XHTML. Fine. (Beyond custom
widget templates what do you need?) But (from the PR) why do we need to
serve (e.g.) the Admin so? Or have the examples in the docs (and code
comments) be XHTML compliant? Or the template we use to test the email
sending functionality? (I appreciate you probably scripted these changes.)

Does it really matter if framework provided pages use HTML5? Why? (If it
does matter can you not warp a middleware around HTML Tidy, or similar, to
do the conversion for you?)

If there are barriers to you creating XHTML pages, we can look at those,
but I'd be -1 on bringing it back framework wide.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/ba8245ff-85b4-4369-8504-eb080136d238%40googlegroups.com.