> So Jon, are you basically saying that Vasili's concern shouldn't come up?

Yeah, I think it shouldn't come up. But I'm not sure I fully understand
Vasili's concern . Maybe if it was more specific with more details, I could
better understand it.

Django's documentation states:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/unicode/#creating-the-database

> Make sure your database is configured to be able to store arbitrary string
> data. Normally, this means giving it an encoding of UTF-8 or UTF-16. If
you
> use a more restrictive encoding – for example, latin1 (iso8859-1) – you
won’t
> be able to store certain characters in the database, and information will
be
> lost.

> All of Django’s database backends automatically convert strings into the
> appropriate encoding for talking to the database. They also automatically
> convert strings retrieved from the database into strings. You don’t even
need
> to tell Django what encoding your database uses: that is handled
> transparently.

So, if these non-UTF-8 articles are stored in the database, this doesn't
involve FILE_CHARSET. Are the articles stored as text or binary data? If
text,
this violates existing Django documentation & assumptions. The database is
expected to be configured for UTF-8. If binary data, then the project's code
will be responsible for decoding it to a text string.

If, on the other hand, these articles are stored as files, how are they
being
loaded? If they are being loaded through a Django code path, which one such
that FILE_CHARSET is involved? Or, are these articles loaded by project code
such that the encoding can be specified.

So, IIUC, it doesn't seem like FILE_CHARSET should be involved for this use
case.

> That the whole "SQL data files" bit is misleading...?

I was unable to find any code with an interaction between FILE_CHARSET &
"SQL
data files". If it exists, do you have a link? I think this text may be
outdated or obsolete. Maybe that sentence should be rephrased to "template
files, static files, and translation catalogs".

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CADhq2b6JU3oVYovQHG%3DO1oz0Ntw1bHTWF_iOkJcnrVPSBQh36w%40mail.gmail.com.