> Is that always available these days? (I'd guess yes.)

I too would guess yes. I believe any reasonably modern text editor will
support
UTF-8 and even likely default to saving in that encoding. I know mine does.

> Is is something we want to impose? Not sure. Are there people doing
> otherwise? (No idea.)

For templates, it wouldn't be imposed. Users can still override the template
engine's encoding with the 'file_charset' option.

For static files, without imposing it, we're back to the third-party app
concern. Just like DEFAULT_CHARSET, it would difficult to change
FILE_CHARSET
_and_ integrate third party apps. The third party apps have likely encoded
their static files using UTF-8, so setting FILE_CHARSET to some other value
will break.

Cheers,
Jon

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CADhq2b4-7vc-hZgKP_%2BYOmUkbRC%2B8r7i2t74d0-9b0vGrVcmkA%40mail.gmail.com.