On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 9:19 PM Tobias McNulty <tob...@caktusgroup.com> wrote:
> Overall, the main downside I see is the large, fairly useless changeset this
> would create and the impact it would have, such as reduced utility of `git
> blame` for some portion of the code for the foreseeable future and
> interruption to all in-progress PRs. Problems that can be worked around,
> sure, but it would be an interruption to ongoing work nonetheless.

I came here to say exactly this. Django's codebase is already pretty
consistent with its own style and I think having a usable "git blame"
is much more important than starting to use a new code formatter. IMO,
with a codebase as big as Django, trying to adapt a different style
guide would only cause unnecessary code churn.

The following style is much more readable (and it also makes future
diffs less noisy since we can add new formats without having reformat
code and comments) than black-formatted code:

TIME_INPUT_FORMATS = [
    '%H:%M:%S', # '14:30:59'
    '%H:%M:%S.%f', # '14:30:59.000200'
    '%H:%M', # '14:30'
]

Reformatted by black:

TIME_INPUT_FORMATS = ['%H:%M:%S', '%H:%M:%S.%f', '%H:%M'] # '14:30:59'
# '14:30:59.000200' # '14:30'

(Taken from
https://github.com/hermansc/django/pull/2/files#diff-ba8335f5987fcd81d41c28cd1879a9bfL370)

(Also, thank you for creating PRs with different black configurations, Herman.)

--Berker

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAF4280%2BB9k0Nymm4Oq%3DxnGe0gnZCzx2cDs3-esEBxDp2W9P-bg%40mail.gmail.com.