Just short hint about git blame.

Github has functionality to get more deep git blame:
https://help.github.com/en/articles/tracking-changes-in-a-file, more over
pycharm has similar functionality too (potentially another editors and IDE
have too). I suggest that git blame is more tooling issue, not changes
approach, because for another refactoring and active development you can
have the same issue with git blame.

Regards
Paveł

On Mon, 29 Apr 2019 at 10:12, Carlton Gibson <carlton.gib...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Alex.
>
> So I use git blame on Django *a lot: *a new ticket comes in, I have no
> idea at all how to triage it so I need to look at the history to make a
> sensible decision. I use git blame to find the commit, to find the original
> ticket, in which there's a discussion, which 🤞 explains why things are as
> they are. (Mostly...)
>
> But we're already at the the point where more times than not I need to
> skip multiple commits to get back to the original decision.
>
> Look at `master` right now.
> https://github.com/django/django/commits/master
> (Screenshot attached)
>
> The last three commits from this morning are all "tidy-ups" that obscure
> the history. This is typical. Rarely now is there such a old block that
> hasn't been adjusted at all. So it's normal to have to jump commits.
>
> A big Black commit will add to this. (It's the concern I do have.) But
> it's not a game changer. It's just more of the same. I'm pretty sure it's
> the motivation needed to up my git blame foo to the next level, at which
> point I'll likely save time ironically.
>
> For this reason, weighed against the benefits, I don't think the git
> history should be a blocker. I hope that makes sense.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Carlton

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/01b0bcb5-3540-455e-b06e-d16ad2ec04d8%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/01b0bcb5-3540-455e-b06e-d16ad2ec04d8%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAL6gfQZ6eAtHntmPh%3DxR-Raf7ro4wM%3DbCpny7nH_AMmHdj91ow%40mail.gmail.com.
              • ... James Bennett
              • ... Josh Smeaton
              • ... Aymeric Augustin
              • ... Max Arnold
              • ... Curtis Maloney
  • ... Aymeric Augustin
    • ... Markus Holtermann
    • ... Alexander Hill
      • ... Aymeric Augustin
      • ... Carlton Gibson
        • ... Paveł Tyślacki
        • ... 'Laurens A. Bosscher' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
          • ... J. Pic
          • ... Christian González
            • ... Aymeric Augustin
              • ... jacob . rief