Hello everyone,

While the ASGI patch (https://github.com/django/django/pull/11209) is maybe
the first small step in a long road to async, it's the only real one we
could do without a DEP as it purely pulls on existing specs and bugs.

To that end, I have drafted a DEP (provisionally #0009), "Async-capable
Django". It is a summary - and I use that word very lightly - of the rest
of the work to be done to make a version of Django that one could call
"async capable".

You can view it here:
https://github.com/andrewgodwin/deps/blob/async/draft/0009-async.rst

It is approximately 7,000 words long - while it could probably do with some
editing, the subject matter means it has to be quite in-depth. Even then,
it does not propose an exact plan to follow; instead, it proposes the
overall strategy and the high-level ideas about what needs to be done.

If you are short on time, please read the Foreword and the High-Level
Summary, and then jump around using the table of contents to the sections
that interest you.

Feedback on this is very much appreciated; you can either reply here or, if
you have comments that would benefit from precise location on the diff, use
the pull request here: https://github.com/django/deps/pull/56

This is a very complex topic, and I appreciate feedback might take a while;
at least a couple of weeks to get everyone's thoughts. If you want a more
private channel to discuss concerns or design questions you're not happy to
talk about publicly, feel free to email me directly.

This proposal does not quite fit the DEP template - we never really planned
for something of this scale - but I have done my best to make it work; I
think we still benefit from discussing and voting on it in the DEP format,
but suggestions on how to make it work better are welcome, provided they
fit within how Django operates as a community now.

Finally, if there is positive feedback on this, we have the separate
question of funding it that I will discuss separately, if and when we get
that far. The DEP covers some of the topics, but it's notable that the
implementation speed of this varies considerably; if we could get, say, me
and someone else on it full-time (which is not a cheap or likely prospect),
we can probably be done inside of a single release. If we rely just on
volunteer time, it may take years. There is hopefully somewhere between
those two that works.

Thanks for taking the time to read through!

Andrew

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAFwN1uqav3JXQA3m%2Bajf0Bd15QQX3JTZTfmH3Hc3ECWyRR3CVg%40mail.gmail.com.