The more I use Trac, the more I appreciate its power. I'm normally all for
Progress™ but I'm not sure GitHub's UI is up to it.
(Being able to find the old discussion is super handy: it's not that often
that an idea has not come up before at this stage.)

*I'd be interested to see what a prototype export looks like in a test
GitHub repo. Maybe it's possible... (Note this is in bold.)*

Maybe more people would participate, but I'm not sure... Do we just suspect
that? I worry we go to a load of effort for no real gain.

Current input is quite good I'd say. Claude and Simon are regulars. There's
a good number more who make frequent appearances.
I think there's more people commenting than we suspect. (Anyone trying the
export would be able to do numbers I'd guess...)

If the new Triaging role on GH would allow "Request a review..." I think it
would be super handy. (But currently that's restricted to the more powerful
roles.) (I'm nagging GH about as best I can but if anyone knows anyone...)

Happy to comment more if people want, but those are the highlights.

C.

On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 12:56:18 UTC+2, Josh Smeaton wrote:

> Mariatta has put together a some PEPs for migrating CPython issues over to
> GitHub.
>
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0581/ proposing the migration.
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0588/ migration plan.
>
> Django and Cpython are not the same, so there'll be substantial
> differences. But it's worth familiarising oneself with prior art.
>
> For what it's worth I'd strongly support such a move just for the increase
> in engagement.
>
> Carlton, Mariusz, how would you gauge the level of triage activity in Trac
> from non-core members? High/Medium/Low?
>
> https://github.blog/changelog/2019-05-23-triage-and-maintain-roles-beta/
> describes
> the new triage and maintain roles, but they're still to be granted to
> trusted individuals (which would be an excellent gateway into full core
> membership if that is the direction Django is going to continue in).
>
> On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 17:46:18 UTC+10, John Gooding wrote:
>>
>> Hi Aymeric,
>>
>> You bring up a lot of good points. There will undoubtedly be challenges
>> and huge amount of work in moving to a new system, or implementing any big
>> sweeping changes, however, I truly honestly believe that it would be worth
>> it in the long run, and the payoff would far outweigh the cost.
>>
>> As far as Microsoft owning github, etc I think it is almost moot. Any
>> process will have some amount of vendor lock in, whether github, atlassian
>> (jira & bitbucket parent company), or even gitlab. I think what is
>> important is to pick one system as a community that we are happy with. Any
>> one of those three could do what is ultimately needed, which is a
>> centralized and consistent development platform.
>>
>> On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 12:33:59 AM UTC-7, Aymeric Augustin wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello John,
>>>
>>> This was discussed before, when we moved from self-hosted svn to
>>> GitHub-hosted git, but I'm not sure there are public archives of all
>>> discussions.
>>>
>>> As far as I remember, the main points to tackle are:
>>>
>>> 1. Does GitHub allow "anonymous triage" i.e. labelling, closing, and
>>> reopening issues by non-committers? I think there was a recent announcement
>>> in this area. I didn't check the details. Previously, bot-powered
>>> workarounds were suggested, but they wouldn't provide a good user
>>> experience. You want discoverable buttons, not a cheat sheet of magic
>>> comments.
>>>
>>> 2. Does the GitHub UI scale to thousands of issues? In theory, any
>>> classification system can be reproduced with namespaced labels e.g.
>>> "component:ORM", "status:ready-for-checkin", etc. In practice, it's
>>> unlikely to be as convenient as what currently exists on Trac.
>>>
>>> Perhaps it's just me, but I always found GitHub issues hard to use when
>>> I had more than on page of issues. Indeed, at that point, I need a
>>> labelling system to filter issues. Then I need to keep all the rules of
> [...]

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/b9b9713b-6ca8-467d-b0ab-818ae1a7ee68%40googlegroups.com.
  • ... John Gooding
    • ... Aymeric Augustin
      • ... John Gooding
        • ... Josh Smeaton
          • ... Carlton Gibson
            • ... Andrew Godwin
              • ... John Gooding
    • ... John Gooding
      • ... Carlton Gibson
        • ... Tim Graham
          • ... William Vincent
            • ... '1337 Shadow Hacker' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)