I think the way Rails does it, aka with well-done newcomers guide
(https://edgeguides.rubyonrails.org/contributing_to_ruby_on_rails.html) is
worth looking at, as Carlton notes. A bit more streamlined than the current
Django How To Contribute Guides.

Incidentally, Carlton and I will be having a chat with DHH of Ruby on Rails
fame in September for the DjangoChat podcast so if there are any questions
we should pose to him on managing the Rails community, do pass along to us.
Certainly I'll ask him about issue tracking!

On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 3:08:39 PM UTC-4, Tim Graham wrote:

> Although I'm not engaged too much with Django development now, a big
> drawback of moving to GitHub issues for me would be that I could no longer
> do a Google search like "something something site:code.djangoproject.com".
> I could pretty much always find the ticket I was looking for that way.
> Maybe GitHub issue search would be just as good but I find Google results
> (with a snippet from the page) more useful.
>
> Another migration consideration is that Trac tickets are formatted using a
> different syntax than GitHub issues.
>
> A migration feels like weeks of work and it doesn't strike me as a "heck
> yea!" improvement. There would probably be benefits and drawbacks. As
> Carlton said, I think it's time that could be more usefully allocated.
>
> I wonder how putting issues on GitHub would increase engagement? Is it
> that Trac isn't discoverable from GitHub? What if GitHub let us redirect
> https://github.com/django/django/issues (with the "Issues" tab) to
> code.djangoproject.com?
>
> On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 4:48:14 AM UTC-4, Carlton Gibson wrote:
>>
>> Just on this point:
>>
>> > I agree with Andrew Godwins statement on Django loosing many
>> contributors over the years and being in largely maintenance mode.
>>
>> First, I'm not sure Andrew actually said this. Rather I think he reported
>> is a point raised. However...
>>
>> I hear this kind of thing said. It ties-in with the "Django is boring"
>> trope, when that's not meant as a compliment.
>>
>> I think it couldn't be further from the truth.
>>
>> Yes, these ain't the wild west days of yore. (Granted)
>>
>> But Django has successfully transitioned (with large thanks to the effort
>> Tim Graham put in as Fellow over that time) from young to mature and it
>> still growing.
>>
>> Even if you take out your favourite headline feature — don't say it :) —
>> v3.0 is going to be an awesome release. 2.2 was too. And 2.1. And it's
>> continuing forward.
>>
>> I wish we'd drop negative self-talk. It lowers morale and isn't even
>> correct. Django is in great shape, and only getting stronger.
>>
>> Could we do with more contributors? Yes. So let's do what we can to make
>> that better.
>>
>> I think of the effort to move from Trac. Maybe it's worth it... But I
>> think of the same effort spent improving djangoproject.com, and the How
>> to contribute guides (I think Tobias said the Contributing docs are
>> X-thousands of words—all great but not necessarily that approachable), and
>> so on, and I wonder if it's the best ROI? (That's a genuinely open
>> question: DRF uses GitHub issues I don't see it leading to any more
>> engagement there...)
>>
>> Go Django Go! 🙂

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/ace34012-e5ac-4bbc-ad5b-d3fbac1a560a%40googlegroups.com.
  • ... John Gooding
    • ... Aymeric Augustin
      • ... John Gooding
        • ... Josh Smeaton
          • ... Carlton Gibson
            • ... Andrew Godwin
              • ... John Gooding
    • ... John Gooding
      • ... Carlton Gibson
        • ... Tim Graham
          • ... William Vincent
            • ... '1337 Shadow Hacker' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)