Hi Uri.

I can’t see that we have capacity to extend the LTS support window. Even if we
did, I’m not sure it’s a good idea.

Your best bet is to get off the LTS and onto the latest major version, and then
stay there. (As much work as that may look initially.)
It requires a commitment to upgrade every 9 months (with an 18 month window)
but it really is the smoothest path.

Re Crispy Forms, I’m fairly sure that if you can pin down the issue more
precisely a fix would be quite easy. (It’s _always_ a template issue… — pin it
down and you can override the shipped template in the meantime.) FYI they’ll be
a new release in the Autumn there, before Django 3.0, so a PR before then would
be super.

Kind Regards,

Carlton

> On 9 Aug 2019, at 09:29, ⁨אורי⁩ <⁨u...@speedy.net⁩> wrote:
>
> Django Developers,
>
> I would like to know why Django LTS support time is 3 years. I think with
> Ubuntu LTS it's at least 5 years. We are using Django 1.11 for Speedy Net,
> which was released on April 2017, and I'm not sure we will be able to upgrade
> it before April 2020. There are changes which are not backward compatible, we
> will have to change some of our code if we upgrade Django, and some packages
> we are using, such as Django Crispy Forms, we have to use versions which
> don't support Django versions higher than 1.11 due to bugs in future releases
> (https://github.com/django-crispy-forms/django-crispy-forms/issues/889
> <https://github.com/django-crispy-forms/django-crispy-forms/issues/889>).
> Upgrading to the next LTS version (2.2) will take lots of time, and the end
> of support of 2.1 is December 2019. I want to release Speedy Net and Speedy
> Match to production soon, and I don't think we will be able to upgrade Django
> before 2020. It would help if there was 5 years support for each Django LTS
> version. What do you think?
>
> אורי
> u...@speedy.net <mailto:u...@speedy.net>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CABD5YeEnNd2JyPZh1LfB%2BEM_2modh-rHp%3DqAT--RgkdYYbmn0Q%40mail.gmail.com
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CABD5YeEnNd2JyPZh1LfB%2BEM_2modh-rHp%3DqAT--RgkdYYbmn0Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/57D924F8-6040-4153-A43B-CE0DF55E4076%40gmail.com.
  • ... אורי
    • ... Carlton Gibson
    • ... Adam Johnson
      • ... אורי
        • ... Kye Russell
        • ... Patryk Zawadzki
          • ... Kye Russell
            • ... '1337 Shadow Hacker' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
              • ... '1337 Shadow Hacker' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
                • ... Josh Smeaton
                • ... Aymeric Augustin
                • ... James Bennett