Thanks for the examples Sanskar.

I think the mapping should be kept ProjetState instances and invalidated
when state alterations are performed. In an ideal world I think that
ProjectState should have methods mapping to all Operation subclasses
state_forwards and these state_forwards methods should only proxy
ProjectState methods.

The CreateModel.state_forwards method is a good example of that[0]; it
calls into ProjectState.add_model where all the storage and cache
invalidation logic is encapsulated[1]. If ProjectState had methods such as
rename_model, alter_field, and such it would make it easily testable in
isolation and allow it to maintain it's related object cache, or mapping as
you call it, more easily.

Simon

[0]
https://github.com/django/django/blob/421622548060499881df9966b7a352bce63901cd/django/db/migrations/operations/models.py#L80-L87