I understand what you mean. Here's a proposal.

Instead of removing the default test runner altogether, I can work on
adding a *TESTING_BACKEND *variable in *settings.py *with possible values
being *'django.testing.backends.pytest' *(default) or
*'django.testing.backends.DefaultRunner'*. This way we need not compromise
on the features that the default runner provides over pytest. Meanwhile I
could work on some the issues pytest has by contributing to pytest-dev.

One small question- will a contribution to repositories such as *pytest-dev
*or *graphene-django *count as contributions to the Django organization in
GSoC?

Best
Diptesh

PS: I am also conducting a small survey about the same. I will post the
results here once I get sufficient responses. It would be interesting to
see how to common public reacts to such a change.

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 10:56:37 PM UTC+5:30 Adam Johnson wrote:

> except the first one- this can be easily solved using a pytest hook
>

> It's not easy at all. I tried 4 years ago and failed to find a
> satisfactory way of running the checks at the appropriate time since the
> pytest lifecycle (db setup, reporting, etc.) is so different from unittest:
> https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest-django/pull/414
>
> Instead they are kind of addons that'd be nice to have.
>>

> That's not how we treat stability in Django. These features are necessary,
> core features for the projects that use them, and we treat them as
> necessary. Please read the Deprecation Policy:
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/3.1/internals/release-process/#internal-release-deprecation-policy
>
> .
>
> I appreciate your willingness to improve things and I agree generally
> pytest is a better test runner experience. But please channel some of your
> energy into understanding where Django is, where pytest is, how
> contributions work etc. You will get further than having a long back and
> forth where you keep asserting that it would be easy to implement.
>
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 at 16:58, Diptesh Choudhuri <diptesh....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> *Adam,*
>> Thanks for your detailed feedback.
>> I will be honest, I couldn't understand any of the points you mentioned
>> (except the first one- this can be easily solved using a pytest hook). As
>> you said, these are very rare cases indeed. As a django and pytest user for
>> some time, I would have encountered atleast one of them when I wrote my
>> tests. However I never have and hence I would say that these are very rare
>> cases indeed.
>> What I am trying to say is that if we include pytest in django core, the
>> development of these features will only be accelerated. The default runner
>> advantages you mentioned are not really features that are missing in
>> pytest. Instead they are kind of addons that'd be nice to have. But the
>> advantages that I mention of pytest over the default runner are significant
>> and can tremendously improve developer experience while writing tests.
>>
>> Please don't think I am disregarding your points. I respect and value
>> your opinions.
>>
>> Best
>> Diptesh

>>> Could you please elaborate a bit on this? Maybe provide the relevant
>>> tickets? I am quite new to this community.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Best