On Tuesday, 5 April 2022 at 19:34:54 UTC+5:30 jacob...@gmail.com wrote:

>    - Django doesn't have to store any state of users and/or IP addresses
>    attempting to log in
>
> We would still have to keep track of the rate of requests made by each
user and/or IP if we want to respond with a > 400
status code for a malicious client who bypasses the disabled button. So in
effect this seems like rate-limiting on the backend
as well as (somewhat) on the frontend. Plus we would have to maintain some
extra bit of JavaScript, and the quirks that come with it.

In my opinion, limiting the rate of requests to a small amount per minute
should be a good enough initial solution,
and also solves the challenges raised in the discussion so far (to some
extent).