I'm currently looking in to adding a filter to the right hand column of the
`filter_horizontal`/`FilteredSelectMultiple` widget to allow users to
filter down the list of selected options.

The PR has been created, and is nearly there, but the question has been
raised as to whether it's intuitive enough with regards to what happens
when filtering the selected values until only a subset are visible, and
then saving the form.

The design of the PR is that the filters are purely for display purposes,
and saving the form will send all of the selected options to the server,
not just the visible ones.

Without displaying this somehow to the user, this is not clear enough.

There have been a couple of suggestions as to how to solve this, but wanted
opinions from a wider audience as there are probably developers with a lot
better UI/UX skills than me.

   1. Display some extra info _somewhere_ to indicate something like "X
   selected options not visible"
   2. Display the filtered-out options, but in a muted/greyed-out way.

I'm not overly sold on #2 as this doesn't help the main use case IMO of
there being a very long and busy select that you want to filter down to get
to the options that you want.

I do like the idea of #1 though. Maybe a banner at the bottom of the chosen
select, either as the text above states, or "Displaying X of Y selected
options".

Any concerns, comments or suggestions welcome :D

Thanks to Carlton and Mariusz for the review and comments too.

Thanks,
Gav

Issue: #24179 -- FilteredSelectMultiple widget - add filter field to the
right column.
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/24179

PR: #15926
https://github.com/django/django/pull/15926