I'have implemented such a widget in django-formset
<https://django-formset.fly.dev/>. It just hides (removes) the selected
options which have been filtered out.
Otherwise, filtering by muting options, wouldn't have the desired visual
effect.

Please note that in order to implement this feature, I used three <select
multiple> elements, two of them visible (the left
and right one) and one hidden, which contains the currently selected
options, even if filtered. A nice side-effect of this
architecture is, that it allows autocompletion for long source lists, and
in addition, undoing and redoing a selection.

Please check in the link from above the example:
 *> Default *(or any other CSS framework) *> Opinion*.

– Jacob