Hi all! I'd like to re-open the discussion around
https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/21978

As a "batteries included" framework, Django kind of leaves people to
fend for themselves when it comes to deployment. This makes it harder
than necessary for a developer to go from works-on-my-laptop to
works-on-the-internet. The docs here are great, but also daunting to a
newcomer https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/4.1/howto/deployment/

I'd love to see Django provide some sane defaults that people can use
to deploy a site without having to make a bunch of decisions they
don't totally understand.

I have two thoughts on how it could be handled:

1. Similar to the template backends. You get Django's template system
by default, but you're welcome to swap in Jinja2. I don't believe
there is a one-size-fits-all webserver, but probably a
one-size-fits-most.
2. Similar to cache/database backends. You define the backend you want
to use and Django makes some sane choices for you and allows you to
serve the site via some common `manage.py` command.

For the first option, Gunicorn is a popular choice, but afaik it does
not work on Windows. Waitress [1] is an interesting option for WSGI
serving and daphne exists for ASGI. Whitenoise is a reasonable choice
for serving static files. It doesn't yet support ASGI, but there has
been some activity on that front [2].

Thanks!

[1] https://pypi.org/project/waitress/
[2] https://github.com/evansd/whitenoise/pull/359