I hadn't seen django-simple-deploy. At first glance, it looks interesting,
but more platform-specific than what I was thinking.

I'll play around with creating a third-party app that encapsulates some of
these thoughts and see where I end up.

Thanks for your time and feedback!

On Tuesday, August 23, 2022 at 1:17:12 PM UTC-6 carlton...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hey Pete.
>
> Yes, there can be a lot of steps... (and trouble is every one has a
> different opinion once you get to specifics :)
>
> django-webserver looks good β€” in a similar ballpark to what I had in mind,
> yes, but I'd probably not want to bundle the options for each server
> myself, as that seems a lot to maintain over time... (Better to outsource
> to the individual projects no?)
>
> Have you seen what Eric Matthes is doing with django-simple-deploy?
>
> https://github.com/ehmatthes/django-simple-deploy
>
> I really like the idea: in an opinionated way, it applies the project
> changes you need to deploy (and it's plugable so folks could provide a
> *template* for their own flavour of deployment if they wanted, which is
> kind of important given the number of options in the landscape, even if you
> only to *ship* a beginner option.)
>
> Tim Allen also recently raised improving the Django project template,
> which I think is related here. (That's on my list too: async this QTR, then
> hoping to take on Adam's proposal to modernise the Request object for the
> end of year, then 🀞 swinging back here for "OK, what does it look like,
> what can we do?" after that: there's a bunch of related tickets around
> #21978 that it would be very sweet if we could clear up...)
>
> I think all these thoughts are really pursuable outside of core in the
> very short run, even if the goal is to merge them β€” it's much easier to
> experiment that way, and then say, "This worked".
>
> Anyhow, other than a "I've been thinking along these lines", and a
> generally positive emote, I don't have too much more concrete at this
> stage.
> πŸ‘
> C.
>
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2022 at 19:00, Peter Baumgartner <pe...@lincolnloop.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the additional background Carlton! I like the idea of
>> having some sort of protocol that folks can follow to make
>> ready-to-use Django server packages (django-webserver [1] is in the
>> same vein), but I'd strive for more. pip install + INSTALLED_APPS is
>> great, but getting to production with that approach can feel like
>> death by a thousand paper cuts. Do that with gunicorn, whitenoise,
>> dj-database-url, etc. and it ends up being a laundry list of things
>> that, in my experience, people rarely get right on the first try and
>> just result in frustration.
>>
>> It seems like part of the challenge here is reaching parity with the
>> current runserver command, but is that necessary? Running `runserver
>> --dev` locally and getting dev features like autoreloading and then
>> having `runserver` use a different server for a deployed app doesn't
>> seem unreasonable.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/lincolnloop/django-webserver
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 10:14 AM Carlton Gibson
>> <carlton...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hey Pete.
>> >
>> > Yes... this is a good one.

> [...]

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/493f7f12-541c-4e12-ac25-0fd341ce2dc2n%40googlegroups.com.
  • #... Peter Baumgartner
    • ... Carlton Gibson
      • ... Peter Baumgartner
        • ... Carlton Gibson
          • ... pe...@lincolnloop.com
            • ... Peter Baumgartner
              • ... Florian Apolloner
                • ... Jure ErznoΕΎnik
                • ... Florian Apolloner
                • ... Peter Baumgartner
                • ... Peter Baumgartner
                • ... Peter Baumgartner
                • ... 'Tobias McNulty' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
                • ... Florian Apolloner
                • ... Peter Baumgartner