Hi there,

I am sorry that I missed this in the alpha. But to the best of my
knowledge, CITEXT and non-deterministic collations are not the same. They
don't support the same operations and their string comparison operations
are similar, yet not identical.
Furthermore, PostgreSQL doesn't discourage the use of CITEXT, but hints
towards a native alternative. That's maybe more than just a subtle
difference.

99% of all use-cases might be email, but even email LIKE-queries would be
affected (good for +-searches).

Unless we want to drop support for the CITEXT extension, collations might
not be a sufficient replacement.

I'd caution to revert the deprecation and keep support unless we make an
informed decision to drop CITEXT for a 3rd party integration.

Best
Joe!

On Monday, August 8, 2022 at 11:49:25 AM UTC+2 Mariusz Felisiak wrote:

> As far as I'm aware you can use:
>
>      CreateCollation("case_insensitive", "und-u-ks-level2",
> provider="icu", deterministic=False)
>
> to create a case insensitive collation on PostgreSQL.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/20278136-dbbe-4bc1-9f86-3b6f671c83d9n%40googlegroups.com.
  • D... Mariusz Felisiak
    • ... 'Adam Johnson' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
      • ... Mariusz Felisiak
        • ... Mariusz Felisiak
          • ... Mariusz Felisiak
            • ... Silvio
              • ... Mariusz Felisiak
                • ... 'Johannes Maron' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
                • ... Mariusz Felisiak
                • ... Tom Carrick
                • ... fly.a...@gmail.com
                • ... gw...@fusionbox.com