basic reason on why I brought this up now.

1. promote django
2. latest security patch for phpBB was just announced

3. and I think the world does need a alternative designed with
security in mind from the start.

4. lack of non-PHP solutions. I know of several people who refuse to
put php code on their servers

5. most 'community' style applications would need a 'forum' component.
having one which is directly pluggable into the django way of doing
things would allow easier integration with other django components
like for example a review and rating component, or a tagging
component, or a CMS component.

so ideally if this actually came off, and was usable I can see
developing other 'parts' to a generic 'community' application which
could be use. (in django)