Well, I never got a reply, and I never got python-eunuchs working.
However, upgrading my python to 2.4 (and then basically reinstalling
everything in the new site-packages) did the trick. I did have to make
a change to the shebang at the start of django-admin.py to point at
python2.4 as well.

Maybe someone with the same problem as me will stumble across this
thread.

Colin