Hi all,
I've been digging around Django for a while now as a possible
replacement for some Zope 2 sites we are running. The sites have large
MySQL (and in some cases PostGres) backends. The primary keys in the
tables vary, but are mostly varchar.

One thing I'm very keen to use the data model aspects of Django for is
to power admin sites and to separate the data from the presentation as
much as possible by using arbitrary methods as in
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/tutorial2/ (Zope has
something similar, called 'pluggable brains'). Our Zope systems have
become very cluttered, with data and logic intermixed quite
extensively, making maintenance and further development quite
difficult.

It seems though that Django uses ints for primary keys quite
extensively, and I guess that will cause some problems with (say)
creating new entries using the admin system.

Does anyone have any pointers/hints/howtos etc on how to do this with a
minimum of hassle?

Thanks a lot,
Tone