On 1/9/06, Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a model with multiple companies (Basecamp Style), where each
> have multiple users and multiple company news. Which of the two way is
> more appropriate:
>
> 1: Company -----one-to-many----> User ----one-to-many----> NewsPosting
>
> 2: Company -----one-to-many----> User
>            |------------one-to-many----> NewsPosting
>
> Where Company, User and NewsPosting are tables.
>
> With approach 1, I have to add a function to Company called
> get_newsposting_list() that gets the list of postings for a company
> through SQL. (Is there any easier way to do this? Can't django automate
> this process?)

Yes, Django can automate this process. With approach one (which I'd
recommend), you could do this:

    newspostings.get_list(user__company__id__exact=123)

This takes advantage of the fact that the lookup parameters are
capable of performing joins behind the scenes. Let me know if this
doesn't make sense or if I misunderstood your question.

Adrian

--
Adrian Holovaty
holovaty.com | djangoproject.com | chicagocrime.org