Amit,
*Many thanks* - that is *exactly* the kind of stuff I need to know
about. We have people who can write the decorators for LDAP
authentication, and will also be able to do the same for Shibboleth
authentication too (we'll pick up environment variables from an Apache
2 instance).

I didn't want to start screeching about documentation because I had
seen the way that went with the early days of Zope 1.03 (yes, we were
there then!) and how people could get really quite snotty with the Zope
guys when *their* particular area of requirement wasn't documented in
great detail. The Djano docs are very much better than the original
Zope docs, and I've learnt a tremendous amount from the tutorials and
other snippets.

I don't expect the Django devs to respond to each and every request -
they have to be selective about what to reply to, have their own pet
projects, and want to have a life too!

However (there's always that ;) - I've got a feeling there's a fair few
people on this list (almost certainly lurking) who are looking at
Django in the same way I am - as a new tool to be added alongside other
tools certainly, but also looking at migration paths from other systems
(I know there's at least one Zopista here - Eric :). If there is a way
for the django-devs to address some of the migration crowd issues, that
can only help uptake of Django.

But, I digress! :) - Amit, your blog entry was very helpful too - I
didn't realise that the django authentication documentation had been
rewritten for 0.91, so I'll delve into that as well. I recommend it to
other people looking for some Django hints and tips.

I think your post has convinced me that the we *can* move across our
authentication systems into Django with *relative* ease. I'll try and
post to the list as we learn ...

Many thanks again.
Cheers,
Tone