At 6:22 PM -0800 2/26/06, hsitz wrote:
>Have you taken a look at the Many-to-many relationships example?  Looks
>like you're trying to manually create the links between tables, whereas
>you're supposed to use the Model API's built-in 'set_xxxxx' method.
>
>http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/models/many_to_many/

Wow, thanks a lot!   Just what I needed!

One problem I foresee, though, is that I also have some many_to_one
fields.  Many_to_one fields do not have a set_FOO method.  Since I
might need to change the relationship of such a field after the
record is created, how do I do that?

Notes to the documentation maintainers:

1) I looked through the db_api documentation and this wasn't in there
-- I think it should be there.

2) I didn't expect something called "examples" to contain
documentation per se, but rather more just sample code.  Something
like that many_to_many "example" needs to be called "documentation'
and not an example.

Feature suggestion:

With all of the get_FOO_this and set_FOO_that methods etc., it sure
would be nice to have some tool akin to "django-admin.py sqlall
<app>" that would show me all of the possible methods for this model.
It would help, for example, knowing that set_FOOs (a) gets the "s"
appended to it or not, and (b) that there isn't one for FOOBAR
because FOOBAR is a many_to_one and not a many_to_many.

Thanks again.

--
Glenn