On 3/10/06, Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> OK, I was confused about why Django still needs usernames in its
> database even though LDAP is the new authentication method.  I thought
> it would require authenticating via LDAP, then checking for the user
> _and_ pass in Django's database.  I didn't realize that I will only
> have to copy the username (not the password), and that authentication
> does not need to occur a second time against the Django user list.  It
> looks like I'll be able to convince the man in charge that Django is a
> great framework choice for our needs.
>
> Thanks to all for the feedback!

I'm using the method mentioned in the link to do LDAP auth.

http://www.carcosa.net/jason/blog/computing/django/authentication-2005-12-05-13-25.html

A dummy django user must exist, with or without your app's django
permissions or groups assigned, before LDAP is looked up. In my
environment I didn't want all LDAP users to be able to login to the
application, only thosee userrs that had had been explicitly created
in the django user db.

So the flow is this:

If user in django userdb:
  check user password via ldap (or whatever) auth method.

I have written a very simple pluggable auth module that does all of
this and has support for LDAP.

I'll put it up in the django wiki next week when i get back to work if
anyone is interested. It looks like the MultiAuth stuff will supersede
this anyway in the near future.

regards

matthew