I found a tiny difference in the http.conf files (AllowOveride was set
to "FileInfo" instead of "None".) I made that change, even though I
seriously doubted that it would make a difference. Then I bounced
apache and amazingly enough the new urls.py showed up.

I set the AllowOverride setting back to FileInfo and changed the
urls.py again and so forth and proved to myself that the AllowOveride
setting had nothing to do with anythng. It was all about the bounce.
(Apparently I thought I had bounced the server previously, but had not.
Perhaps I was not su when I did the previous bounces.)

So now I can force the urls.py changes to be respected by bouncing the
server. (Whew!) But that still begs the question -- why is my
development server picking up urls.py changes right away while my clone
machine requires a server bounce. Hmmm.