On 5/5/06, Jason F. McBrayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Joseph Kocherhans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Yeah, it hasn't been implemented yet. I'd be (pleasantly) surprised to
> > see it finished before the end of the summer. Your best bet is to use
> > ForeignKey and/or OneToOneField. It's probably not exactly what you
> > want, but it should work. Note that the semantics of OneToOneField are
> > going to change by the time inheritence is implemented, so you may
> > want to use ForeignKey instead.
>
> This is kind of painful for me, since one of my projects depends on
> overriding auth.User (to do ldap authentication).  I've been putting
> off my update to MR in order to think about what I want to do about
> this.
>
> It seems like for now my main options are to implement my own
> authentication scheme that doesn't integrate fully with Django's and
> which doesn't work with the auth pages (not _terribly_ important for
> this particular project), or to monkeypatch auth.User anywhere it
> might be used (evil).  Is that true, or is there something that I'm
> missing?

That sounds about right. I've been developing a new authentication
system for django since PyCon that allows for different or even
multiple backends... the api has been pretty unstable so far, but it's
getting close. I've written some docs, but I'm sure they could use
some more work. Now that magic-removal has been merged I'm going to
request a branch to finish it up. If you're interested in going that
route and providing feedback, I'll speed up my efforts. I have a patch
available you could use, but maintaining a patched version of django
is a PITA to put it lightly.

> Does it make more sense to base this project on the Floating Sargasso
> branch, or to take one of those desperate measures?

That would also work. It'd be better than mokeypatching IMO. If you
aren't using the admin system you're probably best off just rolling
your own authentication.

Joseph