On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 21:47 -0700, hironobu wrote:
> Hello, Django users and developers.
>
> I'd been trying to handle non-ascii string (such as Japanese text) from
> MySQL database for recent several days, on version 0.95
> "post-magic-removal".  Django loads onto memory as raw byte strings and
> saves similarly too, so string data I can see directly on database:
>     u'\u3042\u3044\u3046\u3048\u304a'
>     (This is "hiragana" sequence, just like ABC... on English)
> appers after loading on django, like this:
>     '\xe3\x81\x82\xe3\x81\x84\xe3\x81\x86\xe3\x81\x88\xe3\x81\x8a'
>
> This is because of ignorance of "utf-8" sequence, I want to treat this
> as unicode string using "unicode()" or "decode()":
>     >>>
> '\xe3\x81\x82\xe3\x81\x84\xe3\x81\x86\xe3\x81\x88\xe3\x81\x8a'.decode('utf-8')
>     u'\u3042\u3044\u3046\u3048\u304a'
> but, django directly loads onto "models" object's attributes, and
> treats as "CharField" string ... it doesn't take care of string
> encoding.
>
> If possible, I want to propose such as "UTF8StringField" to use utf-8
> string. It converts a raw byte sequence of string with decoding as
> "utf-8", holds as "unicode" string internally, and saves as "utf-8"
> byte sequence to database. I made a so-easy patch to fulfill this.
> Maybe I don't completely read and understand through whole parts of
> Django..., then excuse me. ;-) But if this feature is not implemented
> yet, please use this patch.

I think you forgot to attach the patch. :-)

In fact, even better than sending the patch to the mailing list: make a
new ticket ( http://code.djangoproject.com/newticket ) and attach the
patch to that. Then it won't get lost. Note that you have to create the
ticket first (enter title and a short summary), then submit it, then go
back and you will be given the option to attach a file. You cannot
attach a file when you are first creating a ticket.

Regards,
Malcolm