Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> Is it not sufficient to just look for <script> and <object> tags and
> filter those out?
>
> Are there other HTML things people can do that would pose risks?

Yes, several that I can think of right away.

For example CSS injection: putting "style" markup in the elements --
can do anything from completely breaking the layout to hiding
advertising. If I can do an 'img src=.... style="..."', I can replace
your ads with mine (using positioning of images) or replace elements of
your site with my own. If I add an "onClick", I can lead your users
somewhere else. If I can put a transparent image over the "search"
button on the Google homepage, with an onClick on it, I can send people
to my own search/porn site.

IFRAME -- "I know, I'll just include my own ads in the site" :-)

Fiddling around with link targets and the status bar display (show some
other URL in the status bar than where the link actually goes) again
sending people somewhere else.

All this may sound a bit (very?) paranoid for a small community portal
site. The large number of comment spamming, SPAM and exploits against
phpBB sites, etc. show that some people just don't play fair. You don't
really want these people to go and write arbitrary HTML on your page.
And the potential for abuse is such that if you DO allow HTML in
postings, you have a lot of filtering to do.

Daniel