Hi - as a person investigating django for managing metadata that will
also have a spatial/gis component (lat/lon bounding boxes), would the
reccommended approach be to create a new field for use in my models?
Admittedly this would be specific to the postgres+postgis backend.

I'd be looking to implement a basic a polygon datatype and at runtime
allowing for queries to search for intersections of these with
user-defined points.  The postgres+postgis && operator acheives this in
simple sql:

SELECT
  ID, NAME
FROM ROADS_GEOM
WHERE
  GEOM && GeomFromText('POLYGON((191232 243117,191232 243119,191234
243117,191232 243117))',-1);

See http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/

Has anyone done this already and and I likely to run into any brick
walls from the framework if I attempt to implement additional backend
functionality through model fields?

An aside, there seems to be no implementation of interfaces for the
existing field types.  Is this deliberate?  Maybe I'm barking up the
wrong tree if they're not meant to be extended.