This sorta question pops up often, and as far as I've been able to tell
the answer is "you can't" really, without writing the admin views
(controllers) yourself. You might still be able to use some of the
underlying functionality, but for the interface it seems to me you've
gotta write that code.

The auto-admin seems to generally view things as a flat collection of
objects; they're grouped by application in the main applist, but past
that there doesn't seem to be any notion of hierarchy or containment --
at least visually -- models will of course point to other objects with
foreign keys and such.

I think much of this is due to Django's heritage, that is a newsroom
with mostly all trusted editors working on a few pubs that shared
content. That sort of setup doesn't require the logical groupings other
types of apps might.

One thing that might be an easy hack that I'm going to look at is to
see what it would take to get a separate "level" in the admin, that
being an "application" view in addition to the specific model-level
changelist and the top-level "everything" list of models.

Or even better I'm 100% wrong and there's an easy way to do this that
I've not seen or heard of...