Sean Perry wrote:

> > Don't think so. I don't have root access to my box in Bluehost. Can
> > anythone think of an alternative, short of telling support to install
> > it themselves?
>
> Technically all PIL is needed for is determining height, width and what
> not of the image. If you do not need it or can ask the user, then PIL is
> nice but not required. May take a little hacking, but it should be
> feasible to ignore the warning.

if that's all you need, you don't really have to compile PIL.

just copy the contents of the "PIL" directory to some suitable location
on your path, and you get a PIL install that can identify and open most
image formats (you'll get errors if you're actually trying to do
something with the pixels, though).

example:

>>> from PIL import Image
>>> im = Image.open("Images/lena.jpg")
>>> im.mode
'RGB'
>>> im.size
(128, 128)
>>> im.load()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "PIL/ImageFile.py", line 217, in load
    return Image.Image.load(self)
  File "PIL/Image.py", line 607, in load
    return self.im.pixel_access(self.readonly)
AttributeError: pixel_access

</F>