I'm putting together a system to track scientific samples of various
types.  The "various types" is what's making me scratch my head at the
moment.

Each sample type has a particular set of attributes, some of which are
unique, others are shared with other sample types.

For example, a fluid sample might have "Concentration" as one
attribute, while a soil sample might have "Clay Content" as one.

My idea is to have a Samples table that contains the fields common to
all types of samples, and then a related table containing the
Attribute fields for each sample type.

The question is, should I use a separate table for each sample type,
or a single table for all of them, that displays only appropriate
fields in the view for a particular type?  There seem to be advantages
and disadvantages for each approach.  I can think of about a dozen
different types of samples that might need to be tracked offhand, but
there would probably be more. A single large table that has fields
"available" for the user to define their own sample types might be
better in some respects.

So, I'm looking at the choice between many smaller related tables,
that might get unwieldy in numbers of tables, or one large table that
might get unwieldy in terms of loading and keeping individual fields
organized.

I'm open for guidance!