On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 4:28 AM, llanitedave <llanited...@veawb.coop> wrote:

> I'm putting together a system to track scientific samples of various
> types.  The "various types" is what's making me scratch my head at the
> moment.

Prefer a table like follows (tblname:samples): sampleid, samplename ,
sampledesc etc etc

Define another tbl(tblname:sample_types): sampleid(this refers to
samples.sampleid) ,sampletype ,samplevalue
sampletype and samplevalue above would contain the relationship.

In your case (for eg) :
sampleid      sampeletype       samplevalue
1001            Concentration       0.9

Prefer some other naming convention for sampletype-samplevalue.
(param:value?)

-V-
http://twitter.com/venkasub