I concur about the weakness in Django, when it is, as you say, a
relatively simple SQL statement to pull in that data.

I'd go for the list comp idea if you've got a small data set.
Alternatively you could select all the answers and then use
itertools.groupby to group by question. That's also efficient as it
won't use a lot of memory to do the transformation.

Euan