On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 05:26, Börni <boe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello together,
>>
>> Are you running "django-admin.py compilemessages" to create the
>> relevant django.mo file after the event?
>
> Yes, i've tried it with the existing django.po file. And my other try
> was to create an additional file called database.po
>
> makemessages  removes my manualy added entries from django.po

Well, actually it doesn't remove them so much as not recognise them,
and therefore not including them at merge time. Makemessages is a
wrapper around gnu's gettext which does all the creation an d merging
automagically.

Hence, you can't just "add" a msgid to a po file - if the actual
string is not in the file, or not marked to be translated, it wont
appear in the po file.

> compilemessages creates mo files from my database.po and django.mo
> file, but django seems to ignore translations from any other files
> than django.mo?

Yes, that is expected behavior. All translations are expected to go
into a django.po file. All of my apps have a locale folder that
contains the relevant lang po|mo files...This means you will have a
_lot_ of django.po files scattered throughout you various apps, but
that's how it works. Since most apps use some form of version control
makes this easy enough, given the generally tiny file size of po|mo
files.

> Have a nice day and thank you very much for help,

No hassles mate. If my explanations don't make sense, let me know.

cheers
L.