Hi,

we've been trying for hours now to include a css-file in our project,
but it just doesn't work and we don't know why. We've already reduced
the project to the absolute minimum of necessary code:
----------------------------
#settings.py:
PROJECT_PATH = os.path.abspath(os.path.dirname(__file__))
MEDIA_ROOT = os.path.normpath(os.path.join(PROJECT_PATH,
'site_media/'))
TEMPLATE_DIRS = ('templates', )
<Rest is merely the default settings when starting a new project; the
app is included in ISTALLED_APPS>

#site_media/css/test.css:
body {
        background: #9ba49b url("../images/test.jpg"); }

#site_media/images/test.jpg:
<a jpg image>

#templates/base.html:
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
<head>
        <link rel="stylesheet" href="../site_media/css/test.css" type="text/
css" media="screen" />
</head>
test

#testapp/views.py:
from django.shortcuts import render_to_response
from django.template import Context, RequestContext

def home(request):
    data = {}
    return render_to_response('base.html', RequestContext(request,
data))

--------------------
When I drag base.html in the browser, the css is included, loading the
test.jpg image. When loading the page in the django-project, the css
isn't loaded (neither the background color, nor the image). When I
include the css code directly in base.html <style> tag, the background
color is set, but still the image is not loaded (after adjusting the
relative url).
Somehow I feel there's a problem with the path Django tries to access.
However, the method we've defined the PROJECT_PATH and MEDIA_ROOT in
the settings.py already worked in another project. Something else must
be missing, but what?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Andreas