Welll, at the django.contrib.auth there are only those (User and
Group) models for which one may define permission sets and I wanted
guardian to be as simply as possible - so it is not possible to assign
permission to other model even if it "groups  users". At one point I
thought it could be nice to implement some kind of "roles" but I've
finally decided it would be better to stick to facilites provided by
new Django version.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if it is needed to create new
"grouping models" - I often use intermediate models for this (i.e.
Team model with fk to Group among other fields). Let me know if you
have different experience.