Shamefully, I didn't even give it a good once over before posting it.
However, I have read through it, and I'm not too ashamed ;)  More
comments would be nice, but I was more concerned with the results at
the time and it's not terribly complex code, so I think it stands well
on it's own.

I couldn't use this refactoring, because I use readonly=False
depending on circumstance before instantiating the form, this would
create a readonly form which wouldn't be desired.

if kwargs['readonly']: # tests the arg 'readonly' to see if it
evaluates to a True expression.  But before testing it's evaluation,
you need to ensure the arg is in the list, hence '''if
kwargs.has_key('readonly'):'''

My original code may not be perfect but it works ;)