Hi,

it was hard to find the right subject. Let me explain what I want to
do.

I write a web application with Django. I have some forms to upload
content and some forms to download content. Sometimes the content is
just a string (than it will be stored in a database) but sometimes the
content is a (large) file. Than the file will be stored to a
distributed file system running in the background.

Uploading the files is not a problems. First Django stores the file to
a local directory of the server and than it get moved to the
distributed file system. Not really nifty but I couldn't find a
solution to stream the data directly to the distributed file system.

But the really hard part is the download. How do I serve this files
back to the user? Sure, I could do the same as I do for upload: First
download the files from the distributed file system to the local file
system and than serve it to the users. But when has the user finished
the download and I can remove the local copy of the file? Just to
mention one open question.

I hope I could describe my problem in an  understandable way.

What would be a good way to serve internal files to a user? Is it
possible to pipe the files directly from the distributed file system
to the user?

Cheers,
Markus