Thanks João, indeed, after reading the link, what I needed was to
*add* it. So now I have:

MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES = (
    'django.middleware.common.CommonMiddleware',
    'django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware',
    'django.contrib.auth.middleware.AuthenticationMiddleware',
    'django.middleware.doc.XViewMiddleware',
    'django.contrib.csrf.middleware.CsrfMiddleware',
)

And everything seems to be working fine.

Alan