A few points:

* It's as easy to swap components in Django as it is with Pylons. The
main difference is that Django components are well integrated in the
framework so 1/ you don't have much to do to use them and 2/ you loose
some very usefull features - that just don't exist OOTB in Pylons - if
you don't use them.

* SQLAlchemy is possibly the most feature-complete, comprehensive and
powerful "SQL layer" (much more than just "an ORM" ) ever written. Now
this comes with a price : complexity and learning curve. That's what
I'd choose for a truely complex and critical RDBMs based app, but
definitly NOT for most web apps.

As an experienced Python and web developper, while I do think Pylons
is possibly one of the most flexible and powerful web frameworks
around, I still prefer Django for it's level of integration and ease
of use. I've been using Django since the 0.96 days, and I'm still
waiting for a project I'd rather do with Pylons.

My 2 cents...