On 1 oct, 10:55, Benedict Verheyen <benedict.verhe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I found a solution that works for me.
> In the application dir, i've made a media\calltracking directory where
> the static files go.
> I need the extra dirname in the path (the trailing calltracking), otherwise
> i end up with media not being found.

FWIW, this mirrors the usual pattern for app templates / project
templates.

> This is because of the order media is searched in, as specified in the urls.py
> (I'm still developing so the projects hasn't been released yet)
>
> urls.py
> =======
> urlpatterns = patterns('',
>     (r'^%s/(?P<path>.*)$' % settings.CALLTRACKING_MEDIA_URL,
> 'django.views.static.serve', {'document_root':
> settings.CALLTRACKING_MEDIA_ROOT, 'show_indexes': True } ),
>     (r'^%s/(?P<path>.*)$' % settings.MEDIA_URL, 'django.views.static.serve',
> {'document_root': settings.MEDIA_ROOT, 'show_indexes': True } ),

This is fine when using the dev server, but what when you will serve
your static files directly from the frontend web server ?

> settings.py
> ===========
> MEDIA_URL = '/media'
> MEDIA_ROOT = os.path.join(project_path, MEDIA_URL)
> MEDIA_ROOT_FILES = "files/"
> # At the end of the file, import the app specific stuff
> from  settings_calltracking import *
>
> settings_calltracking.py
> ========================
> CALLTRACKING_MEDIA_URL = '/media/calltracking'
> CALLTRACKING_MEDIA_ROOT = os.path.join(application_calltracking_path,
> CALLTRACKING_MEDIA_URL)
> CALLTRACKING_MEDIA_FILES = "files/"

Same question here - how will this save you the pain from having to
either symlink (or alias in your apache conf) each and any app's media
folder when deploying to the production server ?

> You still need to expose the new media url to your app.
> Since i don't want other applications to be able to access other apps
> settings,
> i chose to work with a custom template tag instead of working with the
> request context.
>
> templatetags\media.py in the app dir
> def do_expose_app_media(parser, token):
>     return template.TextNode(settings.CALLTRACKING_MEDIA_URL)
> register.tag('media_url', do_expose_app_media)
>
> I could use simpletag too.
>
> In my calltracking templates i can now access the app media via {% media_url
> %}
> {% load media %}

Hmmm... And how will it work when you'll add a second, then a third
app with to your project ? I didn't checked for some times now but
AFAICT we still don't have namespaced template tags / filters.

<thinking-out-loud>
Since you went the templatetag route, you could extract your
templatetag into a distinct app and rewrite it to accept the appname
as param so it would work with as many apps as you want.
</thinking-out-loud>

> > FWIW, even for a more canonical "integrated" website / webapp composed
> > of distinct django apps, "assets" (app specific css, js, images and
> > whatnot) management can sometimes be a pain. My own solution so far is
> > to keep all app-specific static stuff in a /medias/<appname> subir of
> > the app and manually symlink this to the project's /static dir, but
> > I'd really enjoy a better solution.
>
> I'm developing on Windows so i don't have the luxury of a nicely working
> symlink system :)

??? Windows is STILL not able to properly handle symlinks ???

OMG :(

> I like your solution too as you only have a symlink in the media directory
> and the static data actually is placed in the application directory.

I think it's more or less a canonical solution but it's far from
ideal. Now I never spent any time thinking of a better one :-/