On 1 November 2010 10:59, Lars Ruoff <lars.ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> first of all, these are my first steps with Django, and i only have
> limited experience with Python, so please be patient.
>
> I'm using it for what is intended to be a browser game in the future.
> The main part of the game is a zoom view on a two-dimensional map of
> fields.
>
> I'm currently using Django 1.2.3 with Python 2.6 on Windows XP.
> I'm using Python-provided SQLite and Django's local debug HTTP server
> during development ('python manage.py runserver').
>
> It works pretty well, but i notice that it takes several seconds to
> update the map screen, which i consider unacceptable given the fact
> that it runs locally.
>
> I'm wondering where the performance bottleneck lies here.
> Is it...
> - SQLLite? (I.e. would switching to say PostgreSQL speed things up
> considerably?)

It could actually slow down things. Independently of the DB, you want
to set up some indexes on your models (but I don't think that's your
problem atm).

> - Djangos debug web server? (I.e. would switching to apache speed
> things up considerably?)

Bingo! The development server is single-threaded and slow, so it
totally sucks at serving *static files*. Looking at your template,
your map is composed of many images and they all have to load
sequentially via the devserver. Serving those images using Apache or
Nginx should speed up things significantly.

> - or the way my application is designed??

In the long term, when the DB really starts to be your bottleneck, you
want to do some research about all things "spatial" (like spatial

Łukasz Rekucki