Personally I dont bother creating symlinks to my admin media, I just
copy the media folder over to my project directory. Anyway:

If you think that your settings.py is right:

MEDIA_ROOT = '/var/www/django/project/media/'
MEDIA_URL = 'media/'
ADMIN_MEDIA_PREFIX = '/media/'

or its a permissions problem (Not sure why it would be)

you can check with ls -n and alter permissions with chmod. Here is a
guide if your not sure (http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/linux/usersguide/
linux_ugfilesp.html)

Or check out how to setup a fcgi django project from the main django
site.
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/deployment/fastcgi/?from=olddocs

If you are a beginner, you might save yourself some trouble using
mod_python to serve python instead of fastcgi, just my opinion. I use
Cherokee anyways....

Hope that helped,

Rob