Maybe i misunderstood but what about <http://www.colinux.org> then?

You run a linux web server with django and could start it from theoretically
every platform linux runs on. In parallel to the host system, not as 'live'
system. You can access it via the host systems browser, so this should be
possible.

Listening to Nirvana, i am thinking about a local web app for my customers
running on django (a catalogue system) and therefore i should have the same
problem.

Frank