*This is a question that can be generalized for any other amateur
programmers looking to get into software development, and specifically
startups. I specify Django/Python in my own details below, but it can be
replaced with PHP, Ruby, etc.*

As an amateur, how could I position myself to get in the door at an
established startup (i.e., not founding team) or web dev shop as a junior
Django/[insert language/framework here] developer? What could I do that
would give me a chance of getting a job? My guess is that actually building
something is the right way to go about this?

Build a really simple web app? Build a web resume? Start a technical blog?
Contribute to open source? (though as an amateur, making meaningful
contributions is unlikely...)
------------------------------

My own personal details, as to define what I mean by "amateur":

Academic CS knowledge:

   - Non-CS degree
   - Two Java courses in college as a non-CS engineer (4+ years ago), which
   I admittedly have since forgotten, but helped me establish...
   - Comfort with basic CS elements (i.e., classes, functions, basic data
   structures, control flow tools, etc.)

Practical experience (from a failed startup and work):

   - 1 year of HTML/CSS/JS
   - 1 year of PHP
   - 3 years of SQL (mySQL, Oracle, MS Access)
   - 2 years of VBA development in Excel/Access (front-end and back-end)