Hey Patrick,

On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 01:26 +0200, patrickk wrote:
> see http://demo.script.aculo.us/ajax/sortable_elements

I managed to work out that you were implementing some sort of sortable
table. :-) Unfortunately, that doesn't fill in enough details to help me
answer the questions you were asking. Some questions I have:

- How were you intending this to be used in the admin? For a specific
type of field? Or everywhere there is a table, or...? This isn't just an
"ask the obvious" question: I have one case where I've had to make an
orderable model (a list of images showing changes over time) and I
didn't use the admin interface for that. Your addition would be useful
in that sort of case, but is that all you're thinking of?

- It sounds like you want another database column to store the ordering,
but that is surely a property of the model (the model instances need to
be orderable), so it should be a specific field in the model that the
user has defined, shouldn't it? Why is the column name an admin
property, rather than part of a normal model field?

- If I accidently drop a row in the wrong place, or decide that the
shuffling was just plain wrong, is there some way to "go back" to an
earlier state? With normal form submission delineated changes, there are
specific checkpoints that make up a change and we can usually go back to
at least the last change. With "immediate apply", what are the
possibilities for undoing mistakes?

Without seeing the implementation, I would also think about:

- Does wrapping every tr in a tbody element make things really bad for
screen readers or other linearisation needs?

- Links suddenly stopping working, as you mentioned in your post, could
be a bit of an annoyance (again, I'm not sure of the intended use case,
so hard to tell for sure).

It will probably be easier to give concrete feedback after you post a
code patch. Certainly sounds interesting (the image reordering case is
one where this might be useful).

Best wishes,
Malcolm