Thanks for the note, Malcolm. I remain stymied.

On 8/2/06, Malcolm Tredinnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:

If you want to work with an interactive prompt, the easiest way is to be
inside your project directory (jobs/ in your case, I guess) and run
"./manage.py shell". This will set up DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE and append
the current directory to the Python path for you.

I did this. I tried it in the /jobs directory and in its parent directory /djproject. No luck in either case. In neither case to I get an error message, so I assume it runs, but I still get an error indicating there is no module called jobs.models.

BTW, you said, "If you want to work with an interactive prompt." I'm actually not as comfortable with the interactive prompt as I'd like to be but as far as I can tell from reading both of the tutorials I'm trying to figure out, I don't have a choice. At least none is mentioned. All the Python learning i've done has been basically in IDLE.

Sorry to be so dense here. I'm sure this is pre-newbie stuff and I'm just annoying people, but I feel really, really lost in this Django sea.

You could set the DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE environment variable yourself
(it should point to the Python-importable path to your settings.py file)
if you like. That was the old way you had to do it in Django; it got
tedious very quickly so it was wrapped in a manage.py option.

Regards,
Malcolm