Malcolm,

Thanks for the great, detailed response. I really appreciate it.

After reading your note and looking over other stuff I found rummaging about the user list, I decided I had really started down a sort of false-start path. So I did start over with the official version install from the Django site. And I decided to do the official Django tutorial before trying the one at DeveloperWorks. That is going pretty smoothly so far. At least now when I get an error, I can genrally figure out what I've done wrong. I'm using the interactive shell now and things are going much better. (The DevWorks tutorial never mentions this and I think that's part of the problem I was having.)

In any case, I've now finished Part 1 of the tutorial successfully and am launching into Part 2. So far it's making sense but I'm reserving judgment; I got a lot farther than this with Rails before I hit a wall I never did recover from. In this case, I feel a little more confident because I at least know enough Python to read source and detect things that are wrong, which clearly wasn't the case with Ruby.

Thanks again. Great help.

Dan Shafer